Tuesday 1 April 2014

In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?

For my music video the song I chose was The 1975- Chocolate, The 1975 are an indie/rock band which are quite popular in the music scene. Their own video for this song inspired me because it showed very strong conventions for an indie/rock video. The narrative of my video was very simple and I wanted my video to show real chemistry and a fun loving relationship throughout. What inspired me to create the chemistry was Drake and Rihanna song Take Care, even though this video doesn't fit into the genre of indie/rock it shows elements. It shows the chemistry and relationship  between the two characters, I wanted to created something like this in my own music video.


On the left shows a clip from Drake and Rihanna's music video and on the right shows a clip from my own. I tried to follow the simply conventions of male and female and the connections. Even though I have chosen black and white to follow the conventions of indie I wanted to challenge the conventions also that my video would appeal also to a wider audience. The 1975 music has also made it into the charts which shows it appeals to a lot of people even though it is an indie genre. I think clothing was important so I tried to create my outfits to show representation of 'typical indie teenager'. This consisted of black and white, leather jackets and black skinny jeans. In this clip I also followed the conventions of the camera shots, for example considering medium close up, long shots, pans, tilts and rooms.

.


This is this original video of Chocolate by The 1975, as you can see they follow the convention of indie  being related to black and white, I wanted to follow this convention by displaying my video in black and white. I like the style of the main singer which I wanted to recreate in my own music video. I haven't copied parts from this video but I have analysed this video to help me meet the right criteria for my target audience. Mise-on-scene was important to as choosing my location, I chose 3 different places to film which was the green room, the Beverley WestWood and Hornsea beach. I chose the green room because I wanted a studio effect in my video like the one in Drake and Rihanna's music video. I wanted to audience to feel a connection between the two characters without the distractions of the surroundings around them and by using the studio I was able to create this for example when my character was singing all the focus was on him and the shots of them both together kind of shows a flash back effect for the audience. I also needed shots of them resembling the chemistry and the full attention to be on them themselves. The main character being Jamie which was very dominant I used the Westwood for this being I like the open stretch of woodland and grassy area. It let me express me intentions, it shows him in different parts of the area running away from the problem of them wanting to be together. With having the wide space I wanted to create the feel of Jamie being on his own and the space around him creating the thoughts going on, creating the fact he was on his own and not knowing what to do.

Camera Shots
Camera shots in my music video was very important and choosing which ones to use I had to look at different real media products that show a range of different shots which meets the codes and conventions. The one I used in my opening shot was from a shot in the original chocolate video. It shows a tilt of the character head to toe. In one of the scenes in chocolate it doesn't so much show A tilt but shows a shot on the character which is shown throughout the video. I liked this idea and included it in my own, using short clips to show the relationship. For example shots of him and shots of her, which shows them separately but flicking back in the music video. Entertaining the audience was also important, by creating this in my video I used experimental and varied shots. The editing between the clips created this for example nearer the end of my music video the edits between the shots got quicker showing fun times between both the characters, this was made up of various practice shots, I think this created a sense of fun in my video. I wanted the audience to laugh and for them to feel a connection to the video and relate.

Ancillary Texts

As well as my music video my ancillary texts also took a lot of research to create the best I could. I had to look at existing media products, from AS media studies I was familiar with the codes and conventions of what to include in a magazine. Even though this was a magazine poster I am familiar to using photo shop and this helped a great deal when creating this. It was important to create continuity throughout my products. From looking at research I found it was important for image on my CD cover to be similar to the one on my magazine poster. To follow this from real media products I took photos from the same shoot for both my CD album and magazine poster. It was important to include a link to social media sites such as twitter or facebook, this follows one of the main conventions for my magazine poster. You would have to follow the same conventions such as including the artists/bands name, name of the album and the release date.





This prezi above is what I created to find out research into existing media products (magazine posters) from carrying out this research I looked at different codes and conventions which I needed to include. Finding existing products of my genre helped me base my magazine advert around them. I was really inspired by Lana Del Reys, born to die magazine advert. I liked the main image being very dominant of her which pulls the audience in. In comparison with mine I wanted to do the same, make my main image the most important thing on the magazine poster because before the audience have seen your music video they will have seen the advert, the picture gives an in site of what your product is about and the narrative. This is what happens in real media products and I think portraying this in my own product gave a sense of realism to it and professional.

No comments:

Post a Comment