Monday 31 March 2014

Audience Feedback and what I have learnt

Throughout my project I have collecting different audience feedback from my developments for example for my research and planning stages I created a focus group which helped me with the very early stages of my product. This focus group is what I used for audience research, I asked my target audience some questions which they would like to see from my product.
The questions asked where:

1. Do you prefer music videos telling a story or more abstract?

2. What do you normally expect to see in a music video?

3. What conventions do you expect to see for this genre?

4. These are my initial ideas what do you think of them?

5. What form of media do you use to listen to music?

6. What would you like to see in my music video?

I learnt a lot from this research at the start of my product it helped me understand what my target audience are interested in. Helped me pick my narrative and I applied the information to my final products.





Also in my early on in my research and my audience research I carried out a questionnaire for my target audience.  This is the questionnaire I produced to give to a selection of my target audience. I asked 20 students who are 16+ and have a strong interest in indie music which is my selected target audience. From doing this in my early stages  I learnt lots of different things. The results I got back from both 4 question was that 15/20 said they feel like they belong in the group who are outer-directed which means they're belongers and emulators also achievers this is where my target audience fell into because it gives a clear understanding that this is what they believe they're part of. The results I received from question 2 which was, do you think it is important to earn respect from the type of music you listen to? 17/20 said yes which shows that more than 50% believe that respect is earned from different peers and consumers who listen to indie music this gives a clear understanding of my target audience and I think the results I am receiving from this questionnaire are shaping my target audience into clear groups from pyschographics and the hierarchy of needs. My third question asked as Do you feel more part of a group if you all share the same interest in the same genre of music? 12/20 said yes course and 8 said sometimes and none said no. This shows that more than 50% said yes and the others said sometimes. This backs up the idea that people do want to belong and this shows them as an individual group which show strong interests. My final question was does music effect you as an individual? The results of this question show that 15 said yes 4 said sometimes and 1 said no. This shows the the majority are effected and the results from the whole questionnaire itself have shaped my target audience and shown how they believe it is important to belong and respect is a huge thing when it comes into a particular genre of music. This added my research from doing this, and now in my evaluation stages it shows I learnt a lot from doing it.

Ancillary Text Feedback:

First Draft Feedback:

My first draft I uploaded to youtube was the first bit of editing I had put together, I still had filming to do and add to my music video. From uploading it i showed three different people from my target audience to comment and give me audience feedback to help improve my work. I have spilt my audience feedback into three sections these are strengths, weaknesses and things to improve.

Strengths:

  •  "The video is simple but effective"
  • "Overall a good first draft"
  • "This music video has a good use of a exisiting media product conventions"
  •  "I really like the last few scenes as they are a combination of different shots which connote the emotion between the two characters"
  • "I really like how the video is in black and white throughout, this creates continuity within your work which is following the conventions of this form"
Weaknesses

  • "The narrative and layout is hazey"
  • "There is the repetetive use of the scenes"
  • "Sometimes the edits don't cut to the beat"

Things to improve: 
  • "I believe that it is a good first draft however more shots could be developed here to make it slightly more complex"
  •  "A little colour could be reflected in the video to represent certain parts of the relationship maybe?"
From analysing this feedback and splitting it up into sections, I learnt what I should do and improve, from this I went out and produced a whole load more of footage for my video. I took into consideration of the comments and when editing my second draft I tried to develop it and make it better. Shows that from collecting comments from my target audience it helped me do better and I learnt from the weaknesses for example, I made the narrative more clear, took away the repetitive scene's and edit to the beat. 

Audience Feedback from my final products: 

Collecting audience feedback for my final products is very important because you want to know if I have have produced a successful product. First of all I got together 3 people who are 16+ to sit down and watch my music video, I also had a print out of my ancillary texts which I  showed them. I then produced a focus group. When I started to record I knew they had a good knowledge of what my product contained. The people I asked fitted my target audience it was essential to collect this information to know the strong and weak points of my products and asking the questions I did i gathered this information which I needed.

Questions asked:

From looking at my music video can you tell me what genre it it?

Do you think the black and white works well?

Do you understand the narrative?

What do you think my target audience is?

What do parts do you like about my music video?

Do you think my ancillary texts which I have shown links in and creates continuity with my music video?

Do you think my ancillary texts follow the conventions of real media products?

What one thing would you change?





The comments I received showed successful through my products I have learnt continuity is a strong part of my products. The genre was clear to my target audience, relations to black and white it shows it follows real media products and links in with the same genre. The best parts of my music video was the fast ending when I show the banter between the characters and the relationship between them. The narrative was easily picked up and understood. Something I would change would speeding up some of my edits/cuts between different shots. From doing this focus groups it helps me understand what was useful and what wasn't so good. This is what I have learnt from carrying out this research.


No comments:

Post a Comment